Have you ever had the Gone Bananas from Trader Joes? They are basically frozen chocolate-covered banana slices. I like the flavor and they’re a relatively healthy dessert but I always feel like I was chewing on ice when I eat them. So I decided to iterate! The key is to slice the banana nice and thin to eliminate the ice-chewing sensation. I then spread a bit of almond butter between 2 slices, did a half dip in melted chocolate and (surprise, surprise) sprinkled a bit of sea salt on top.
- 2 bananas (ripe but not over-ripe)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea salt
- Slice bananas into thin discs (~30 per banana)
- Spread a bit of almond butter on one banana slice and top with another slice, making a sandwich
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Repeat with remaining banana slices
- Place baking sheet in freezer for 1+ hour
- When the hour is up, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30 second increments until smooth
- Dip half of the banana sandwiches in the melted chocolate, return to the baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt (I like to dip half of the banana sandwiches, pop them back in the freezer for ~15 minutes and then do the other half because the bananas get mushy FAST. The chocolate also hardens quickly so be quick with the sea salt sprinkle!)
- Once all bananas have been dipped in chocolate, freezer for 1+ hour and enjoy!
Store extras in a container in the freezer!