These blueberry bars are the perfect summer dessert! The lemon juice adds a layer of freshness, the oats keep them chewy and the maple syrup adds a rich, sticky sweetness. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and eat it outside.
This recipe calls for 1 cup of oat flour, which you can easily sub for regular flour, but I made it by grinding up 1 1/4 cup oats in a food processor until it was the texture of flour! Very easy to do.
Honestly, the hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to cool once it comes out of the oven. Don’t try to cut into bars until it has cooled completely!
For the oat layers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup oat flour (or other flour)
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the blueberry filling
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for oat mixture with a rubber spatula
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray
- Divide the oat mixture in half and layer one half on the bottom of the pan
- In a separate bowl, combine ingredients for blueberry filling
- Layer blueberry mixture over oat layer in the baking dish
- Layer remaining oat mixture over blueberry mixture
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown (blueberry mixture should be bubbling)
- Allow to cool completely in baking dish before transferring to a platter
- Cut into 8 pieces, serve with ice cream!